While the representation of women has increased from 7 per cent to 17 per cent for individual police officers and from 2 per cent to 6 per cent within Formed Police Units from 2009 to 2016, women in command positions have remained very low with only one Head of Police Component in 17 missions throughout the period.
These development courses will help create a talent pool to fast track nominations of qualified female senior police officers who can be presented as candidates to the upcoming UN Police Command Course, the Senior Recruitment Roster and vacancy positions for leadership and middle management posts in UNPOL components in field missions and the Police Division.
Each training course will address the unique challenges and opportunities women face as they vie for nominations to leadership positions in police peacekeeping operations.
3-8 December 2017, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
From 3 to 8 December 2017, the Police Division of the Department of Peacekeeping Operations and the African Union will co-host the First Female Senior Police Officer Command Development Course as a regional course for Anglophone Africa in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Nominations have closed.
Application materials are located below:
If you are selected to attend the course, please read the below materials:
- Policy on United Nations Police in Peacekeeping Operations and Special Political Missions
- Guidelines on Police Command
- Guidelines on Police Operations
- Guidelines on Police Capacity-Building and Development
- Guidelines on Police Administrations
- Policy on Formed Police Units in United Nations Peacekeeping Operations (2017)
- Manual on Mission-based Police Planning in Peace Operations (2017)
- Manual on Police Monitoring, Mentoring and Advising in Peace Operations (2017)
- Guidelines on the role of United Nations police in protection of civilians (2017)
- Security Council resolution 2382 on United Nations policing (2017)
- Security Council resolution 2185 on United Nations policing (2014)
- Report of the Secretary-General on United Nations policing (S/2016/952)
- UN Competency Development: A Practical Guide
Prerequisite online e-learning courses
Please ensure you complete the e-learning courses a week before the course begins.
For more information, please visit the following websites: